Pages

Background

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring is Officially Here

Yesterday was actually warm enough that the first Daffodil burst open in our yard! It was a welcome surprise to come home to. The violets have been peeking through the dead leaves for a few days now but adding the yellow contrast is just striking.
Spring is my favorite time of year. Yeah a new birth, another beginning and all the good things associated with life coming forth, but even more than that it means work. The yard is just begging to have me come and clean it up -- pull away all the old dead leaves, trim up the over growth, fertilize and prepare the flower beds. Work is a good thing least you thought I was being sarcastic. Though I dread work and pull the blinds close when I notice it out in the yard, in an odd sort of way, I love it too. There is something masterful about creating and watching things grow and knowing I had a part in it. There is fulfillment in the persistent effort; there is the simple manifestation of God when working with nature.

Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that power to work is a blessing, that love of work is success.
--David O. McKay

3 comments:

Valorie said...

Great post Delayne. I like your comment how sometimes you pull the blinds shut...I do that too. But it is a great feeling when you get out there and see the results of your hard work.....I'm just not there yet! :)

The Hurst Family said...

Delayne. Thanks for sharing your pics since I never remember to plant my bulbs in the fall and I miss seeing them in the spring. RaeAnn

Katie and Randy said...

Oh i'm jealous! Our tulips and daffodils are just growing taller and taller without blossoming. I'm hoping a little more sun is just around the corner so we can enjoy more than green stalks :)
Randy and I are planning on sharing a community garden plot with some friends this summer. We're just waiting for the plot to be ready for us to take over. We're gonna have to get some tips from you!