Pages

Background

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Stranger in the Mirror


Well I hate to say it but I became painfully aware of something this week. I was quite shocked to realize it, I was, in fact heart broken.

I awoke the other morning and started my morning routine. To my surprise when looked in the mirror, I didn't recognize the stranger staring back at me. I'm sure I was not seeing clearly, so I grabbed my glasses and looked again. Some stranger proceeded to taunt me. I stared into her weary eyes and glared at her wrinkled face. I even poked at her sagging cheeks and gave her a drawn out frown. Who was this old woman mocking me? Surely it was not my reflection that I was seeing; I did not look that old! Definitely age had not caught up with me just overnight!

My heart sank as I realized I have never clearly seen my physical self. My mind’s eye always saw me as relatively younger than my age. I hoped age would not catch me and so I have view myself as I use to be.

I left the mirror that morning, putting on a smile and deciding that my mind’s eye was what I preferred to see. I left that old stranger to taunt someone else!

7 comments:

Criman Family said...

You are always beautiful in our eyes. Keep that smile and your face and run with the roses. We love you and may 2011 treat us all well. Love ya!
Lori

Diane said...

I love this. I had the same sort of thing happen to me a couple of months ago. It's funny how we can feel so much younger then we look. You handled it so well. In my eyes you are as young a beautiful as always. Thanks for sharing!
Diane

Hannah said...

Mom!! make a new post.... This was so long ago...

Hannah said...

MOM!!! THAT WAS SO LONG AGO, YOU NEED TO MAKE A NEW ONE... ITS GETTING BORING.

Hannah said...

POST A NEW COMMENT, THIS IS SOOOOOOSOSOSOSOSOOSOS OLD!!!!!!!

Hannah said...

SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE POST A NEW THING. I DID SAY PLEASE....

Valorie said...

Delayne, you are one of the people I always see and say, "good grief, that woman doesn't age!" I think you are absolutely beautiful on the outside and the true joy is that you are just as beautiful on the inside. I have those days with the mirror constantly so I am glad to hear I am not alone.